Top 10: Daniel Day-Lewis performances of all-time
When asked who the greatest working male actors are today, most people bring the great Daniel Day-Lewis to mind. Other actors brough to mind may be Jack Nicholson or Tom Hanks. Unlike those two though, Lewis doesn’t show up in cinemas too often, but when he does he nails his role and wins awards along the way.
Since the early 80s Lewis has been in a variety of films, winning his first Oscar in 1989 for My Left Foot. It is likely that his career spawned from that performance which lead him into some bigger films in the 90s such as Last of the Mohicans or The Crucible. He didn’t receive more award notice though until 2002 with his performance in Gangs of New York.
This year pretty much everyone is predicting that Daniel Day-Lewis will receive his third Oscar victory for his portrayl of the sixteenth president. Only two other actors have won this many Oscars, Jack Nicholson (One Who Flew Over the Cukoo’s Nest, Terms of Endearment and As Good as it Gets). and Meryl Streep (for Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice and The Iron Lady). Streeph won supporting for Kramer vs. Kramer and Nicholson won supporting for Terms of Endearment. This means Lewis will be the first actor to receive 3 Oscars in the Lead category if he is to win this year for Lincoln.
After the cut you will see The Media 10’s ranking of the best Daniel Day-Lewis performances of all-time:
1. My Left Foot (1989)**
2. There Will Be Blood (2007)**
3. Lincoln (2012)
4. Gangs of New York (2002)*
5. In the Name of the Father (1993)*
6. My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)
T7. The Crucible (1996)
T7. The Unbearable Lightness (1988)
9. The Boxer (1997)
T10. The Age of Innocence (1993)
T10. The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
** indicates Oscar win
* indicates Oscar nomination
T indicates tied placement
Per usual, list was conducted in research from the critical popularity of each performance in each film. The list is of the performance, not the movie quality itself. Thoughts?
- All time daniel day-lewis Best Daniel Day-Lewis films Best Daniel Day-Lewis performances crucible Daniel Day Lewis movies gangs of new york in the name of the father Lincoln my beautiful laundrette my left foot Oscar history Oscar winners Oscar wins the age of innocence the boxer the last of the mohicans the unbearable lightness There Will Be Blood three oscar wins Top 10 Daniel Day Lewis performances